How to Retrieve an Earring from a Bathroom Sink Drain
*DO NOT RUN YOUR WATER*
*unplug garbage disposal or other electrical hazards near the drain*
- Needed Materials
- Optional Materials
- How to Retrieve an Earring from a Bathroom Sink Drain (magnetic)
- How to Retrieve an Earring from a Bathroom Sink Drain
- 24/7 Emergency Drain Clearing Service
What You Need:
- Bucket or other deep container
- Rubber gloves
- Pliers or pipe wrench
- Drain guard
- Magnetic screwdriver
- Electrical/duct tape
In the meantime, DO NOT RUN YOUR WATER through that drain. It will only push the item farther down the drain and make them more difficult to retrieve.
- Cut your string to about 2’ in length
- Tie the magnet to one end of the string
- If it can’t be tied securely, tape the magnet to the string
- If the item is visible, you may be able to use the screwdriver for retrieval
- Remove the drain stopper if there is one
- Go fish
If your earring isn’t magnetic, or if the magnet and string method fails you, you’re going to need to remove some pipes. Empty out any supplies below your sink before starting this project.
- Turn off the water supply to the fixture you’re working on
- Locate the pipe trap (the “p-trap” is the u-shaped bend in the piping)
- Place towel under the p-trap
- Place bucket on top of towel
- Put on your gloves
- Loosen the two slip-joint nuts connecting the p-trap
- Remove the p-trap and dump its contents into the bucket
- Go fish
If you found your earring or other item, don’t forget to put your sink back together and turn on the water. Run the water for a minute to ensure you’ve reassembled the pipes correctly and there are no leaks. Make sure to thoroughly clean the retrieved item before returning it to use.
If your earring or other item was not in the p-trap, it may have gone further into the drain. Your chances of retrieving the item without professional help are almost nil if that’s the case.
Roto-Rooter Offers Emergency Drain Cleaning Services in the Milwaukee Area
Call Roto-Rooter's 24/7 emergency plumbing services if your item can’t be retrieved with a magnet or has traveled further down your piping than the p-trap. Or call us if you just don’t trust yourself performing the above maneuvers. Roto-Rooter is available at all hours to come to straight to your house.
You will save time and money by having one of our professionals expertly locate the item and remove it without unnecessarily taking apart or damaging your plumbing.
We provide line-televising services, which use tiny fiber-optic cameras to show us exactly what is in your drain and where it is. We can retrieve your lost item, disrupting as little area of your home or business as possible.
Preserve your peace of mind knowing you’ll get your item back, and it may be a quick fix for Roto-Rooter’s plumber. We deal with these types of situations all the time and will treat yours as the genuine emergency it is. Roto-Rooter is always ready and willing to help Waukesha residents with any plumbing problem they have, whether it be a major leak, flooded basement or toy submarine exploring your pipes.
Roto-Rooter’s Milwaukee Plumbers are Affordable and Always Available
Whether you lost a ring down the kitchen sink in Jefferson, your child flushed a toy car down the toilet in Edgerton or a sock fell into the basement drain and is clogging up the works in Madison, Roto-Rooter will come to your home at a moment’s notice. We understand emergencies do not always happen during normal business hours, so we offer 24/7 drain cleaning service. Our plumbers will be over and have your drain clean and clear in no time. Get peace of mind and lost items removed from your drain with Roto-Rooter Milwaukee.